Are you tired of finding the same music playing over and over in iTunes? Is your PC/ laptop constantly filling up with iTunes junk data? Luckily, there is an easy way to deal with this problem and speed up your iTunes. In this article you’ll learn easy and quick ways to bulk remove iTunes duplicates and junk files without getting any original content affected. Microsoft considers duplicate data an obstacle in organizing files. It is also of the view that cleaner system improves system performance manifolds.
Deleting iTunes Temporary Data
iTunes stores this data and fetches it when required. This data is disposable in nature, meaning it is safe to delete it after the user exits the application. It occupies a considerable storage space which surely increases over time and is known as application cache.
Be sure to unhide any files by going to the View tab > Hidden items checkbox. This will make sure you are able to view all the contents of any folder you open and take appropriate action.
- Double click This PC Desktop shortcut.
- Navigate to the following folders and remove all files from them.
- C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update
- Open the following folder:
- C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes
- Search for any .tmp, .temp, .bak, .old and .log files inside the above mentioned folder and delete them. Do NOT remove any other file types.
Removing Duplicate Tracks in iTunes for Windows 10
Removing dupes is a tricky job. You may not be able to do it manually because of time constraints. However, if you allow a third-party tool to conduct an investigative exercise, you would be able to identify numerous songs which are either exact duplicates or duplicates by the nature of their music tags such as title, music album name, iTunes artist name, etc. Follow this method to reach this goal of freeing your music library from unwanted duplicate music files:
- Download Clone Files Checker from the Internet, and install it on your PC/ laptop
- Change the Scan Mode to activate “iTunes Search”. Use the drop down box on upper right corner of the screen to do so.
- You have now a message box on your screen. Read the instructions and then click the blue colored OK button.
- It’s recommended to retain the default Music Tags (Title, File Content). However, you do have the option to change available music tags [Title, Artist, Album, Track, Duration, Bit Rate, File Content].
- Optional: You can also apply a scan criteria to filter out files smaller / larger than the specified file size. You can even specify a file size range for the scanner to look for results only falling within that particular range.
For example: To exclude files smaller than 256 KB and larger than 32 MB, just check-up checkboxes named “Ignore files smaller than” and “Ignore files larger than”. Select “256” and “32” from the numeric values drop down boxes respectively. Then, choose “KB” and “MB” from file size drop down boxes respectively
- Now start the scan and wait for it to complete.
- You will be provided with 2 options upon the scan’s completion namely Quick-Fix and Review & Fix. Choose Quick-Fix to take a universal action on all duplicates or choose Review & Fix to specify different actions for different groups of files.