Programs that execute at the Windows boot interval are called as Startup Items. There are two sorts of startup items – a. Items with icons in system tray area of your Taskbar. b. Hidden background processes. Startup items can perform various tasks such as help in the functioning of Windows, perform system maintenance tasks (such as, defragmentation of hard disk and Registry) and enhance system security (such as, an antivirus). There are, however, other startups which are unnecessary in nature.
It is recommended you clean up your entire system, and optimize computer speed using RegInOut System Utilities. Download it here:
RegInOut is secured by Verisign
The Problem of Broken Startup Links
When you uninstall an application program, sometimes it leaves behind startup items with broken references to uninstalled application files. These links to deleted executable files show an error message. It is very easy to get rid of such unwanted messages. Just scan your Registry using Intel SOFTWARE Partner RegInOut and delete dead entries from the Registry.
Startups Cost you Performance
Useless startup items can degrade the system performance. To avoid delay in system boot interval, disable unneeded startup items. You can do so by using a tool called System Configuration, which is already installed with Windows.
- Type MsConfig in the Search Box on your Taskbar.
- Open the MsConfig tool from the Search Results.
- Click the General tab.
- Select the option named Diagnostic startup.
- Click Apply, and then OK.
- You’ll be prompted for a system reboot; confirm it.
Alternatively, change individual startup items status using Task Manager as shown below. However, this can be a geeky task as you must know which items to alter and which ones to keep aside. It’s smart to have essential startup items turned on such as your Antivirus, Firewall security program, and other startup items that are part of Windows operating system. Keeping non-essential nonessential startups can only waste system resources.
- Press Windows Key + X; choose Task Manager.
- Click the More details icon.
- Click the Startup tab.
- Rearrange the startup items by their current status. To do so, click the Startup column head.
- Select an item you wish to turn off; click the Disable button.
- Exit the window.
- Restart your system to reflect the new changes.
If you are totally unsure which items to disable or need help, simply use the Startup Booster feature of RegInOut System Utilities software. Your system should now boot faster and quicker.