Cleaning up junk from your email is necessary to save your computer from lack of space and performance dropouts.
Ideally, this task should be performed in an automated manner. This relieves the user of an added maintenance task to perform and also results in more accurate and reliable cleanups being performed.
If you are using Outlook 2010 or below, manually deleting the junk is quite easier. Just follow the simple process outlined below as we explain how to clean up Outlook junk.
- Open the Junk Email folder from Mail Folder View.
- Now click Properties and then select the AutoArchive tab.
- Now simply choose between deleting messages permanently from the drive or for moving old items to a separate folder.
- Next, select the Archive this folder using these settings option and from the options menu, select 1 Month.
- Also, select Permanently delete old items.
- Click OK.
Sweep Clean the Deleted Items folder upon on exiting Outlook
The Deleted Items folder is available in Outlook to help you recover deleted items in case you need them in the future. It keeps getting filled and can lead to a tangible decrease in performance. In order to flush it of all the data it contains upon exiting Outlook, do the following:
- In Outlook 2010, go to File | Options.
- Select Advanced from the pane on the left and then scroll to Outlook start and exit heading.
- Select the checkbox for Empty Deleted Items folders when exiting Outlook.
- Click OK to apply the settings.
Using ST Cleaner
You can use ST Cleaner to perform the deletion of Outlook files in a swift and result-oriented manner.
Here is how it goes:
- Download and install ST Cleaner.
- Now open it and click the Software Junks section.
- You can click the View Details option to check the file types available in it.
A good way to start cleaning junk Outlook files from the system is to launch the scan by clicking the green Scan button available on top of the software’s interface.
The above image shows that 38.68MBs can be freed from System Cache by performing the cleanup.
Another great option to cleanup Outlook junk is available in the form of Reginout System Utilities. The whole process is very simple. Let’s get to it without any further ado.
- Download and install Reginout.
- Just like the former method, click the Scan button to initiate it.
- Patiently wait for the scan to be over. Once it’s over you will get the Fix button on the top left.
- You can also deselect any items from the Customize Scan link to drop them out of the scan.
Reginout is not only helpful for removing Outlook junk files, but it is also highly beneficial in cleaning up the clutter that has been formed in your computer because of the junk files that pile up due to other software programs.